- Dit event is voorbij.
Childbirth in the Tropics
oktober 26 | 14:00 - 17:00
Childbirth is magical and emotionally transporting.
“I could not get my fill of looking. There should be a song for women
to sing at this moment or a prayer to recite. But perhaps there is none because there are no words strong enough to name that moment.”
Childbirth remains risky for a lot of women, children and relatives. Unfortunately! Some facts according to the WHO:
- Every day, approximately 830 women die from preventable causes related to pregnancy and childbirth.
- 99% of all maternal deaths occur in developing countries.
- Maternal mortality is higher in women living in rural areas and among poorer communities.
- Since 1990, the global under-5 mortality rate has dropped 53%, from 91 deaths per 1,000 live births in 1990 to 43 in
- Young adolescents face a higher risk of complications and death as a result of pregnancy than other women.
- Skilled care before, during and after childbirth can save the lives of women and newborn babies.
- Prior to birth, a mother can increase her child’s chance of survival and good health by attending antenatal care consultations, being immunized against tetanus, and avoiding smoking and use of alcohol.
AIM OF THE CONFERENCE
Understanding current practices of childbirth in the rural areas of sub-Saharan Africa;
Understanding what explains the preference for risk-related delivery choices;
Exploring opportunities to improve both endogenous and exogenous practices that could ensure quality delivery by vulnerable women;
Building a community of Practices aiming making deliveries more safer in Sub Saharan Africa
More information about the background of the event is provided here: https://www.ccola.cc/event/giving-birth-tropics-fear-joy/
Civil society and knowledge Institutes
Representatives of Diaspora and local communities
Event Flyer: https://www.ccola.cc/wp-
More information about the event: https://www.ccola.cc/wp-